By listening to you and simplifying information regarding your health and the health of the population, free of complicated jargon, we communicate health information in bite sizes through our health care platform, blogs, vlogs, infograms and other resources.
Our goal is to bring clarity to douse the stress and anxiety associated with ill-health as we navigate through the health care system, and to empower our audience with the right dose of accurate health knowledge that they require to inform and guide their health-seeking behaviour, to take responsible ownership to protect their health and to improve their health outcomes.
In sum, askawayhealth is a dedicated health care information and communication technology solution that provides Clarity, Knowledge, Empowerment, and General Guidance, to our diverse audience.
Hello there. I am Dr. Sylvia Kama-Kieghe, the founder of AskAwayHealth.
Having spent over 2 decades working on the frontlines in Nigeria and the UK, in family, community, and primary care as a General Practitioner (GP), I have first-hand experience and understand the challenges that individuals, families and communities face. Health care providers are under increased pressure and services are stretched in many health care systems. The problems are multi-factorial, multi-layered, and multi-level, requiring health in every policy to positively transform the determinants of health.
Drawing from practical experiences and listening to the health care needs of the audience we serve, our team of health and technology practitioners, leverage askawayhealth to bridge the health information and communication gap. Our mission is to strengthen the health-seeking behaviour of individuals, households, and communities, in more and less developed countries.
As part of my qualifications, certifications, licences, affiliations, work, and recognitions, please find below a summary of my profile:
- Fellow of the Royal College of General Practitioners (FRCGP) UK
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine (FRSM) UK
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Public Health (FRSPH) UK
- Diplomate of the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (DRCOG) UK
- Diplomate of the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health (DFSRH) UK
- Post-graduate Diploma in Mental Health practice from the University of Manchester UK
- Urgent Care (Out of Hours) Clinician and Supervisor
- General Practice Examiner
- Alumnus of the African Women’s Entrepreneurship Cooperative (AWEC) Fellowship Programme in leadership and enterprise (a member of the pioneer class of 200 female African entrepreneurs that completed a 12-month intensive programme in 2019).
- Alumnus and Mentor of the Cherie Blair Women in Business Mentor program.
In recognition of my contribution to health care and my work within the National Health Service (NHS), England, I received an award for “outstanding contributions” to healthcare, in celebration of the NHS at 70, from the Nigerian Healthcare Professionals UK (NHCPUK) in 2019.
Creating a culture and chain of giving back
I firmly believe that our world can be a much better place when each of us share with others the best versions of ourselves.
This is what I am trying to do with askawayhealth, in the expectation that my little contribution would positively impact individuals, families and communities.
I hope that you can benefit by signing up to askawayhealth!
If you have found askawayhealth and my thoughts and experience on health issues useful and of value to you, please share with someone else. You never know who else might benefit.
What gets me up in the morning? I ask myself: “What can I do to be the best version of me today”?
Health Questions Archive
How GPs can tackle vaccine hesitancy in BAME communities – GP Magazine, February 2021
Efforts continue to overcome vaccine worries among BAME communities – East London Lines, March 2021
One in four elderly black people in the UK still not vaccinated – The Guardian UK, June 2021.