`Cardio exercises are fun to get the whole family (and friends) together and build relationships. This week’s guest post can help your new year goals for becoming healthier while enjoying time spent with loved ones.
On This Page
Physical inactivity is the fourth most significant risk factor for fatalities globally. As such, doing routines like cardio exercises can have a considerable impact on your cardiovascular health. Increasing your cardiorespiratory fitness improves your general health and well-being and lowers your risk of getting a range of conditions.
Why Cardio Exercise?
Cardio exercises are proven to help boost your immune system, regulate blood sugar and blood pressure, and maintain a healthy weight, among many other benefits. It also increases levels of emotional stability, better mental health, and lowers the incidence of mental disorders. Moreover, you can also notice that exercising helps with mood, focus, and alertness.
Sometimes, people neglect exercising because they think it’s a hassle to do, but staying active does not have to be difficult, overly planned, or time-consuming to be beneficial. Exercising can be as easy, convenient, and free of cost, at home or outdoors, depending on your choice.
Best Exercises for Cardio
When you hear cardio exercises, you probably think of running, cycling, and swimming. However, some people aren’t keen on spending a few minutes of their day running or walking. The good thing is that plenty of alternatives can be helpful to your health while being fun at the same time; plus, you can do them with friends and family to stay fit together.
- Dancing – Cardio exercises don’t always have to be about running. It can be as simple as dancing; you don’t even have to be a good dancer for this activity to be effective. You can follow Zumba class videos, free online fitness programs, or create your own routine from your favourite beats. Hula hooping can also be incorporated into your routine to add some variety.
- House chores – Mopping, sweeping, wiping, dusting, vacuuming, and other tasks can be boring to most of us, but you can use that time to put in a little more effort and turn it into a light cardio workout. Try adding some music to spice up these mundane tasks.
- Circuit routines – This type of workout can get intense, depending on how much you accelerate effort and what you include. Typically, circuit routines consist of squat jumps, push-ups, calf raises, abdominal crunches, and jumping rope.
Treadmill exercises – If you are a fan of walking, jogging, or running but want to stay indoors, installing fitness equipment for your apartment might be the best choice. Treadmill exercises are a great way to liven up a boring run, especially with the different modes installed in some models.
- Walking, jogging, or running – This is the classic cardio workout trio and is a staple for many people who exercise regularly. These routines can be even more enjoyable outdoors because you can benefit from fresh air and good scenery.
- Jumping rope – What once was a fun game is now a fun and effective exercise tool. Play your favourite tunes in the background, or have a friend join you for some tricks to make it fun.
- Sports – Almost any sport can get your heart racing and blood pumping. Water sports like swimming and diving to land sports such as basketball, soccer, roller skating, and cycling benefit your health.
- Kayaking, rowing, skiing, surfing – Though considered sports, these activities require greater strength and effort. Note that you need proper equipment and gear for these activities.
The exercises mentioned above are only some of the more enjoyable ways to exercise. The great thing about these options is that you can do them alone or with friends and family.
Add THIS to Boost Health this Year!
Being healthy is not just about exercising regularly; this also means following a balanced diet and even an improved outlook on life. Whether trying to reach a target weight, manage a condition, or maintain optimum health, working out and eating healthy must go in tandem to achieve your health goals.
Work It Out
When it comes to heart health and diseases, exercising and eating healthy are essential. Remember that “prevention is better than cure.” If improved overall health is not enough to convince you to start moving, consider all the endorphins or happy hormones exercise will produce. A moving body equates to a happy mind, leading to a better you.
There are many fun ways to fit exercise into your lifestyle. You can stay indoors and perhaps set up your mini gym or go out and appreciate nature as you run your daily lap. Whatever you choose, remember to keep it fun and stay healthy!
Editing by AskAwayHealth Team
All AskAwayHealth articles are written by practising Medical Practitioners on a variety of healthcare conditions to promote quality healthcare. The advice in our material is not meant to replace a qualified healthcare practitioner’s management of your specific condition.
Please contact a health practitioner to discuss your condition, or reach us directly here.
Image Credits: Canva